International Student Resources

University Career Services (UCS) provides career development and employment services for international students. In addition to various programs and workshops, some of which are specifically geared toward international students, we provide individual advising. However, depending on your specific questions, you may need to visit University Career Services, Rutgers Global - International Student and Scholar Services and/or an academic advisor/major advisor.

This information will help you determine who to contact for assistance:

University Career Services

  • How can I improve my resume and cover letter?
  • How do I find a job/internship?
  • How can I find an on-campus job?
  • Which U.S. companies sponsor H-1b Visas
  • What major or career options are a good fit for me?
  • How do I prepare for an American-style interview and practice my skills?

Please start by scheduling an appointment with an International Career Development Specialist! Appointments are available via Rutgers Handshake!

Rutgers Global - International Student and Scholar Services

  • Am I eligible to work as an F-1 or J-1 student?
  • How do I maintain my legal status in the US while holding an internship/job?
  • What limitations are there for working on campus? Off-campus?
  • What do employers need to know about hiring an international student as an intern?
  • What about for full-time positions?
  • Can I work part-time or full-time?
  • Does it matter if the position is paid or unpaid?
  • What is the difference between Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
Please contact Rutgers Global for assistance with these questions. You could also attend a Working Off Campus Workshop!

International Student Resources: