Rutgers undergraduates (first-year, sophomore and junior students) from all majors and academic interests are welcome to apply for the next cohurt of this exciting, high-impact mentoring program.
Are you the type of person who is very creative, or has a knack for analyzing, problem-solving and thinking quickly on your feet? Do your friends describe you as innovative? If so, it sounds like you have what it takes to have a promising career in the fast-paced and budding field of communication and media! In order to break into these fascinating careers, it’s not just about what you know, but often who you know!
ABOUT THE ROAD TO COMMUNICATION & MEDIA (RTCM) MENTORING PROGRAM:
This comprehensive and innovative program is designed to help you explore career pathways within the field while connecting you with alumni mentors who can help you learn the tricks to break into the industry. Through this high-impact program, students will map a path through the competitive world of communication and media where opportunities exist in diverse areas, including:
- Content Creation and Editing
- Digital Marketing (Social Media)
- Media and Advertising Sales
- Media Production
- Public and Corporate Relations
- Web and Graphic Design
See information below about application process.
Interested in the program? Join us at one of our upcoming information sessions and register via Rutgers Handshake.
- RTIPs Information Session, 10/07/19, 11 AM — 12 PM
- RTIPs Information Session, 10/11/19, 1 PM — 2 PM
- RTIPs Information Session, 10/23/19, 2:30 PM — 3: 30 PM
If you have decided to apply, we also offer resume workshops to assist you with your application. Register via Rutgers Handshake for one of the workshops below:
- RTIPs Information Session - Resume Workshop, 10/15/19, 1 PM — 2 PM
- RTIPs Information Session - Resume Workshop, 10/17/19, 11 AM - 12 PM
ABOUT ALUMNI-STUDENT MENTORING:
Every fall, interested first-year students, sophomores and juniors from all majors apply for this competitive mentoring program, and approximately 50 students are meticulously matched with a Rutgers alumnus who is currently working in the field of Communication and Media. Students accepted into the program have access to their alumni mentor over the course of 6 months and discuss topics like industry trends, interview strategies, internship/job search process, taking advantage of the time at Rutgers, cover letter and resume critiques and networking.
Alumni from all backgrounds and levels of experience are encouraged to apply to serve as mentors in the program.
Mentees and mentors are expected to maintain a minimum of two hours of contact per month, from February through August. Alumni mentors do not have to be local! Mentoring can take place through in-person meetings, phone conversations, virtually, or a combination. Efforts are made to pair mentees with mentors based upon shared career interests and information provided in applications, cover letters and interview clips.
Contact RTIPS@echo.rutgers.edu with any questions or concerns.
ABOUT THE RTCM STUDENT APPLICATION PROCESS:
Applications open on October 1, and must be completed by 11:59 pm November 3.
Applications are submitted through your Rutgers Handshake account (Job ID 2794622). Be sure to sign into Rutgers Handshake using your NetID and password! There are several components to the application, and all must be completed in order for your application to be considered- please read this carefully!
- Application (Rutgers Handshake Job Id 2794622)
- Cover Letter answering the following questions:
- Why are you applying for the RTCM mentoring program?
- What are your career interests and why?
- Why would you make an excellent mentee?
- RTCM Pathways Ranking Sheet
- Available as an attachment to the job description in Handshake.
- Download the form, complete it using Word, save it to your desktop/drive, and then upload it to Handshake
- InterviewStream Video Clip Submission (directions below)
IMPORTANT: All of the application components listed above must be completed and submitted by 11:59 November 3, in order for your application to be considered.
About the InterviewStream Video Clip:
The interview clip is a great way for the committee to get to know you. It is also an opportunity to highlight things that you may not have the chance to in your cover letter or resume. The most important thing to remember is to be yourself! Here is what you can expect from InterviewStream:
- You will be responding to four questions, and will have one minute to answer each.
- You will NOT be able to see yourself as you answer the questions, but you will be able to watch your response, and decide if you would like to re-record.
- After your first attempt at each question, you have two “do-overs” if you would like to try again. Use them wisely!
- There is a one minute break between each question. You can choose to proceed if you do not need the full minute.
- After you answer the last question, and click continue, you will see a video containing information regarding next steps. Your interview clip will automatically be uploaded, and you do not need to do anything further at this time. If you like, you can watch your interview again, and assess how you did (not required for the program). Or, you can explore InterviewStream and continue to practice your interview skills.
Completing the Application:
1. Visit application website and log in using your NetId and password.
2. Click the green Apply Externally button.
3. Attach your resume, cover letter and ranking sheet (answer questions regarding work authorization if this is your first time using Handshake to apply for a job).
4. Click the green Step 2: External Application button. Your application has been submitted through Handshake, and you will now be redirected to InterviewStream to record your interview clip.
5. If you have an account for InterviewStream, sign in. If you have not used InterviewStream before, register with your Rutgers e-mail address.
6. After you create an account and log-in, you will see a welcome message on the menu on the left-hand side. Locate the box underneath labeled “assignment code”.
7. Copy and paste the following code into the box: Txw3fRxvXGc5 and click “register”.
8. You will be taken to the Interview module for the RTCM mentoring program. Read the description carefully and click “take my interview” when you are ready to go!
9. After you answer the last question, and click continue, you will see a video containing information regarding next steps. Your interview clip will automatically be uploaded, and you do not need to do anything further at this time. If you like, you can watch your interview again, and assess yourself. Or, you can explore InterviewStream and continue to practice your interview skills.