Wednesday, July 8, 2020
10:30 AM - 5:30 PM (ET) | 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM (CT)
Videoconference Information Provided Later to Registrants
Rutgers University-New Brunswick is excited to host the 2020 Allerton Hire BIG10+ Conference! We look forward to the opportunity to connect with colleagues, engage in conversations, and inspire new ideas with fellow career services professionals. What sets Allerton apart from other conferences? Instead of the traditional presentation breakout session format, attendees participate in an open conversation to share ideas and best practices. Due to COVID-19 concerns, Rutgers has transitioned Allerton to a one-day virtual conference that is more accessible than ever! With a nominal $20 fee to cover necessary expenses, we hope that every individual in your office can attend!
For those who are new to member institutions, the Allerton Conference has a rich history. It began many years ago as a summer meeting of career center directors from across the Big 10. It was held at the Allerton Park & Retreat Center (part of the University of Illinois). Over time, the conference still retains the "Allerton" name but rotates locations each summer across host institutions and the original Allerton Park & Retreat Center.
Registration & Payment Information:
This event is open to career services professionals from the Big Ten schools, as well as DePaul University, University of Chicago, and the University of Notre Dame.
Conference Payment: Once you have completed the Allerton 2020: Hire B1G10+ Virtual Conference Registration, please finalize your registration by confirming payment for your attendance. The funds are used to cover basic expenses inquired by Rutgers. All payments are due by September 1, 2020 (note this is after the virtual event as many members are dealing with financial hardships due to COVID-19).
- Preferred Method: If paying via credit card, pay here, then forward your payment confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the full name that you used for your registration:
- General Admission Payment
- Paying for a group to participate? Once each member of your group registers, one person can use the payment link to submit their credit card. In the checkout cart, there is a button that says “edit cart,” where you can change the quantity to match the number of attendees from your group. Once done, please forward the payment receipt email to Linda Bagen (email@example.com) and include the names of each person in your group.
- If paying via check, please make the check out to "Rutgers University" and send to Linda Bagen (106 Somerset St., 4th Floor, New Brunswick, NJ 08901)
To cancel with a full refund, contact Linda Bagen (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 18.
COVID-19 has impacted higher education in unprecedented ways. As many career services departments are currently facing financial hardships leading to restricted professional development opportunities, the Rutgers Allerton planning committee created scholarship opportunities for those who wish to attend the virtual event but are unable to do so.
Scholarship recipients are required to volunteer at the Virtual Allerton Conference (limited opportunities) or within the Hire Big 10 organization during the upcoming year.
Conference Schedule & Attire, and Award Nominations:
We’re working on crafting a truly inspiring, engaging, and impactful virtual conference schedule to make Allerton 2020 a great experience for our B1G10+ colleagues!
Participation in the conference requires all users to have headphones and a microphone. Headphones integrated with microphones commonly associate with smartphones can be used through the “call-in” audio connection feature. Before the event, please test that your computer, web camera and microphone are Webex capable. Test here!
Below is the tentative Allerton 2020 scheduled (ET Time Zone): We will make available links to the various virtual rooms closer to the event.
- 10:30 AM - 11:20 AM Opening Session
- 11:20 AM - 11:35 AM Break Activity
- 11:35 AM - 12:20 PM Discussion Session #1
- Employer Development: Delivering Intentionality, Quality, and Quantity
- Efforts Managing Recruiting Programs: Interviewing, Information Sessions, and Postings
- Career Development Workshops: Engaging Students Through Programming
- Campus Support System: Transforming Campus Partners into Advocates
- Branding: Building Awareness of Your Department on Campus
- Student Resources: Leveraging Websites, Publications, Apps, and External Vendors
- 12:20 PM - 12:35 PM Break Activity
- 12:35 PM - 1:25 PM Bring Your Own Lunch, Presentation by Johnson and Johnson, and Business Meeting
- 1:25 PM - 1:55 PM Group Virtual Energizer Activity
- 1:55 PM - 2:00 PM Transition Break
- 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM Discussion Session #2
- Employer Partnership Programs: Relationship Building, Sponsorships, and Fundraising
- Career & Internship Fairs: Elevating the Experience for Candidates and Employers
- Helping Each Other: Career Advising Challenges and Tips to Overcome Them
- NACE Career Competencies: Putting Career Readiness Into Practice
- Scaling Resources: Leveraging Student Staff to Elevate Your Office
- Beyond First Destination Data: Utilizing Data to Increase Effectiveness
- 2:45 PM - 3:00 PM Break Activity
- 3:00 PM - 3:45 PM Discussion Session #3
- Recruiting Trends: A Conversation Between Student and Employer-facing Staff
- Power of Volunteers: Engaging with Alumni, Employers, and Other Volunteers to Assist Students
- High-Impact Practices: Building a Student Employment Program for Your Department
- Student Voices: Surveys, Advisory Groups, Social Media Polls, and More
- Director’s Only Forum: What We Do and Do Not Know
- 3:45 PM - 4:00 PM Break Activity
- 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM University Best Practices Speed Presentations
- 5:00 PM - 5:30 PM Bring Your Own Beverage, Hire Big10+ Awards Ceremony, and Closing
Our organization is filled with talented professionals who deserve to be recognized. We are asking that you consider nominating a colleague for one of the HireBig10+’s awards that are annually presented at Allerton, which will be July 8, 2020 (registration closes June 5).
All nominations are due by June 12th at 11:59pm CST. This year’s nomination will be collected through a Google Form. On this form be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Nominee name, contact information and institution
- Nominator name, contact information and institution
- Which award your nomination is for
- Nomination Statement (past nominations have been 500-700 words, but there are no restrictions)
- David S. Bechtel Award for Outstanding Career Services Professional
This award recognizes an experienced career services professional who has contributed significantly to the career development field by demonstrating the following: dedication and consistently excellent service to students and the career services community, genuine support and regard for students and colleague, and active involvement in the profession and/or significant/innovative programming at the campus level and/or beyond.
- Outstanding New Career Services Professional Award
This award includes a monetary stipend to participate in a conference or professional development opportunity ($500-$1000 total). Registration and travel will require pre-approval from HB10+ board and funds approved will be reimbursed. This award recognizes an individual who: has been in career services full-time for four years or less, is viewed as a promising future leader within career services, and is innovative, creative and delivers outstanding service to students and/or the career services field (e.g., has implemented a new initiative and/or program, has presented on a career development topic on campus or at a state/regional level, etc.).
- Recognition of Retiring HireBig10+ Member
This award is to formally recognize those that are retiring. All announcements will be shared at Allerton.
This year’s Awards Committee Chair is Chris Timm (email@example.com). The Awards Committee consists of past winners of the David S. Bechtel Award.