Wednesday, July 8, 2020
10:30 AM - 5:30 PM (ET) | 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM (CT)
Videoconference Information Provided Later to Registrants
Rutgers University-New Brunswick is excited to host the 2020 Allerton Hire BIG10+ Conference! We look forward to the opportunity to connect with colleagues, engage in conversations, and inspire new ideas with fellow career services professionals. What sets Allerton apart from other conferences? Instead of the traditional presentation breakout session format, attendees participate in an open conversation to share ideas and best practices. Due to COVID-19 concerns, Rutgers has transitioned Allerton to a one-day virtual conference that is more accessible than ever! With a nominal $20 fee to cover necessary expenses, we hope that every individual in your office can attend!
For those who are new, the Allerton Conference has a rich history. It began many years ago as a summer meeting of career center directors from across the Big 10. It was held at the Allerton Park & Retreat Center (part of the University of Illinois). Over time, the conference still retains the "Allerton" name but rotates locations each summer across host institutions and the original Allerton Park & Retreat Center.
Conference Schedule and Virtual Rooms:
Below is the current Allerton 2020 schedule (ET Time Zone) and Zoom links. We will disseminate the room access password via email to registered participants. Please do not share or post in public forums.
Participation in the conference requires all users to have headphones and a microphone. Headphones integrated with microphones commonly associate with smartphones can be used through the “call-in” audio connection feature. Before the event, please test that your computer, web camera and microphone are Zoom capable. Test here!
Below is critical information to prepare you for the event. Please read all the information closely. If you have any technical questions before the event, please contact Barbara Thomson, Associate Director for Technology & Data Management and Conference Co-Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We switched from Webex to Zoom for the virtual event. Please review the system requirements to ensure your desktop or laptop computer can handle the event. The Zoom mobile app for smartphones and tabloids is limited and not recommended as your primary platform.
- We also ask that everyone use a headset and microphone connected to your computer during Allerton to help reduce audio echos and feedback. You will have two options for audio, connecting through your computer, or connecting through your phone.
- Sign up for a free Zoom account (if you don't already have one).
- After you register, download, and install the Zoom Client for Meetings versus using the web version.
Instead of name tags, we developed school-specific virtual backgrounds for you to install and setup before Allerton:
- Download your virtual background image from our Google Drive. Note that the files are organized based on the number of years you have attended Allerton (including this year).
- Add your Allerton virtual background image to your Zoom account (help video here - you do not need a green screen) before Allerton. This background will remain as your default for all future meetings until you change it. The virtual backgrounds will make it easier for other members to identify you and your institution. If you find that your background is inverted, follow this help video for assistance.
- Update your display name (help video here) in Zoom using the naming scheme "Full Name (University)"
- Have your phone charged and accessible to participate in engagement opportunities (e.g., Poll Everywhere, Kahoot, etc.) at specific points in the day.
- Since we will not meet in a physical space for networking, we created an online directory containing information for all attendees.
Attire, Best Practice Presentations, and Award Nominations:
We’re working on crafting a truly inspiring, engaging, and impactful virtual conference schedule to make Allerton 2020 a great experience for our B1G10+ colleagues!
Our organization is filled with talented professionals who deserve to be recognized. We are asking that you consider nominating a colleague for one of the HireBig10+’s awards that are annually presented at Allerton, which will be July 8, 2020 (registration closes June 5).
All nominations are due by June 12th at 11:59pm CST. This year’s nomination will be collected through a Google Form. On this form be prepared to answer the following questions:
- Nominee name, contact information and institution
- Nominator name, contact information and institution
- Which award your nomination is for
- Nomination Statement (past nominations have been 500-700 words, but there are no restrictions)
- David S. Bechtel Award for Outstanding Career Services Professional
This award recognizes an experienced career services professional who has contributed significantly to the career development field by demonstrating the following: dedication and consistently excellent service to students and the career services community, genuine support and regard for students and colleague, and active involvement in the profession and/or significant/innovative programming at the campus level and/or beyond.
- Outstanding New Career Services Professional Award
This award includes a monetary stipend to participate in a conference or professional development opportunity ($500-$1000 total). Registration and travel will require pre-approval from HB10+ board and funds approved will be reimbursed. This award recognizes an individual who: has been in career services full-time for four years or less, is viewed as a promising future leader within career services, and is innovative, creative and delivers outstanding service to students and/or the career services field (e.g., has implemented a new initiative and/or program, has presented on a career development topic on campus or at a state/regional level, etc.).
- Recognition of Retiring HireBig10+ Member
This award is to formally recognize those that are retiring. All announcements will be shared at Allerton.
This year’s Awards Committee Chair is Chris Timm (email@example.com). The Awards Committee consists of past winners of the David S. Bechtel Award.
Registration and Payment Information:
This event is open to career services professionals from the Big Ten schools, as well as DePaul University, University of Chicago, and the University of Notre Dame.
Conference Payment: Once you have completed the Allerton 2020: Hire B1G10+ Virtual Conference Registration, please finalize your registration by confirming payment for your attendance. The funds are used to cover basic expenses inquired by Rutgers. All payments are due by September 1, 2020 (note this is after the virtual event as many members are dealing with financial hardships due to COVID-19).
- Preferred Method: If paying via credit card, pay here, then forward your payment confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the full name that you used for your registration:
- General Admission Payment
- Paying for a group to participate? Once each member of your group registers, one person can use the payment link to submit their credit card. In the checkout cart, there is a button that says “edit cart,” where you can change the quantity to match the number of attendees from your group. Once done, please forward the payment receipt email to Linda Bagen (email@example.com) and include the names of each person in your group.
- If paying via check, please make the check out to "Rutgers University" and send to Linda Bagen (106 Somerset St., 4th Floor, New Brunswick, NJ 08901)
To cancel with a full refund, contact Linda Bagen (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 18.
COVID-19 has impacted higher education in unprecedented ways. As many career services departments are currently facing financial hardships leading to restricted professional development opportunities, the Rutgers Allerton planning committee created scholarship opportunities for those who wish to attend the virtual event but are unable to do so.
Scholarship recipients are required to volunteer at the Virtual Allerton Conference (limited opportunities) or within the Hire Big 10 organization during the upcoming year.