Our staff members can assist eligible students and alumni through individual career sessions. Prior to utilizing in-person services, consider the library of online career tools acquired by University Career Services. Tools include self-assessments, industry guides, networking databases, virtual mock interviewing systems, and more. Learn more about the various online tools here.
Learn more below:
- Career Meetups (Group Advising Sessions)
- Drop-in Resume Critique Hours (for current RU-NB students only)
- Scheduling a Career Assistance Appointment (for eligible students and alumni)
Career Meetups are informal, casual meetings that take place in various areas across campus and are co-facilitated by one of our full-time cluster-specific Career Advisors and a student Peer Career Advisor. They begin with a brief presentation followed by open discussion. Think of these as small group advising sessions which provide an opportunity for meaningful dialogue among a group of peers. Learn about scheduled Career Meetups on the events calendar.
Drop-in Resume Critique Hours are available to current eligible Rutgers-New Brunswick students. Alumni should schedule an appointment through Rutgers Handshake for resume reviews.
If you would like to have your resume critiqued, we recommend that you first try our resume drop-in hours. No appointment is necessary! Bring a hard copy of your resume to the drop-in critiques.
Our career advisors are available to assist eligible Rutgers University-New Brunswick students and alumni with a range of career-related issues on an individual basis, such as:
- Develop your 4-year career action plan (Career GPS)
- Assess your skills and interests
- Choose a major and explore careers
- Gain experience through internships, co-ops, and more
- Consider and apply for graduate school
- Search for jobs
The number of appointments scheduled with an advisor will vary depending on the career issue(s) needing attention. Get answers to common questions regarding career assistance.
Scheduling a Career Assistance Appointment:
- Currently enrolled eligible students and recent alumni (1 year out): Request an appointment online via your Rutgers Handshake account.
- Alumni (greater than 1 year): Learn more about scheduling an appointment.
- Unaffiliated w/ Rutgers-New Brunswick: University Career Services at Rutgers University-New Brunswick provides a wide range of services to members of the Rutgers community. However, we are unable to provide career advising services to individuals who are not Rutgers-New Brunswick students or alumni.If you are part of the long-term unemployed, we recommend utilizing the resources of our partners at the New Start Career Network.
- Check out and use our online resources to help you develop your career action plan prior to your career assistance appointment!
We understand that unexpected academic obligations, work commitments, and illnesses can affect your schedule. However, please advise University Career Services of any change as early as possible, as there is a high demand for advising appointments. Your cancellation will allow us to offer your time slot to another student. Be sure to check your schedule carefully in order to avoid multiple appointment cancellations.