Our staff members can assist eligible students and alumni through individual career sessions. Prior to utilizing in-person services, consider the library of online career tools acquired by Career Exploration and Success. Tools include self-assessments, industry guides, networking databases, virtual mock interviewing systems, and more. Learn more about the various online tools here.
Learn more below:
- Career Meetups (Group Advising Sessions)
- Drop-in Resume Critique Hours (for current RU-NB students only)
- Scheduling a Career Assistance Appointment (for eligible students and alumni)
Career Meetups are informal, casual meetings that take place in various areas across campus and are co-facilitated by one of our full-time cluster-specific Career Advisors and a student Peer Career Advisor. They begin with a brief presentation followed by an open discussion. Think of these as small group advising sessions which provide an opportunity for meaningful dialogue among a group of peers. Learn about scheduled Career Meetups on the events calendar.
Virtual drop-in services are available Mondays 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm and Wednesdays 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm. To check-in for a drop-in session and be added to the waiting room list, submit this form.
When someone is available to assist you, you will receive a phone call at the phone number you provide in this form. Please keep your phone nearby to ensure you don't miss your invitation to join a meeting room. If you do not enter a meeting room within three minutes of the invitation, you may lose your spot in line and will need to resubmit the form to join the waiting room again.
Appointments are 15-20 minutes, and we have multiple staff working during each drop-in time. If you feel like you need more time, you're welcome to submit the form again and jump back in line for another drop-in session.
Please be aware that the drop-in form may close before the end of the drop-in time. If this occurs, it's because the list is full, and you'll have to wait until the next drop-in time to have a consultation.
We strive to decrease wait time and provide quality service to you. If you have any issues or concerns with your drop-in experience, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Document (Resume, CV, or Cover Letter) Review
No appointment needed! Want to have your document reviewed but can’t join us during drop-in hours or for an appointment? Prefer to send it in and get feedback in writing? Submit your document here and we will provide electronic feedback. You must attach your resume, CV, or cover letter within the form as either a Microsoft Word or PDF file. If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Drop-in Resume Critique Hours are available to current eligible Rutgers-New Brunswick students. Alumni should schedule an appointment through Rutgers Handshake for resume reviews.
If you would like to have your resume critiqued, we recommend that you first try our resume drop-in hours. No appointment is necessary! Bring a hard copy of your resume to the drop-in critiques.
Our career advisors are available to assist eligible Rutgers University-New Brunswick students and alumni with a range of career-related issues on an individual basis, such as:
- Develop your 4-year career action plan (Career GPS)
- Assess your skills and interests
- Choose a major and explore careers
- Gain experience through internships, co-ops, and more
- Consider and apply for graduate school
- Search for jobs
The number of appointments scheduled with an advisor will vary depending on the career issue(s) needing attention. Get answers to common questions regarding career assistance.
Scheduling a Career Assistance Appointment:
- Currently enrolled eligible students and recent alumni (1 year out): Request an appointment online via your Rutgers Handshake account.
- Alumni (greater than 1 year): Learn more about scheduling an appointment.
- Unaffiliated w/ Rutgers-New Brunswick: Career Exploration and Success at Rutgers University-New Brunswick provides a wide range of services to members of the Rutgers community. However, we are unable to provide career advising services to individuals who are not Rutgers-New Brunswick students or alumni. If you are part of the long-term unemployed, we recommend utilizing the resources of our partners at the New Start Career Network.
- Check out and use our online resources to help you develop your career action plan prior to your career assistance appointment!
Video Call Career Assistance Appointments:
The video call career assistance program enables a current Rutgers, New Brunswick student, or Rutgers, New Brunswick alumni up to one year from graduation to have a video call advising session with a career advisor through the WebEx application.
- Students should make an appointment through Rutgers Handshake by selecting the appropriate topic and appointment medium, Video Call – Instructions Will be emailed.
- Topics Include:
- Still Deciding on a Major/Career
- Resume/Cover Letter Review
- Major and Career Exploration/Planning
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Review
- Internship/Co-op Search Strategies
- Job Search Strategies
- Offer Negotiations
- LinkedIn/Social Media Coaching
- Interview Strategies/Mock Interview
- Graduate and Professional School Planning
- Personal Statement
- How Do I Even Get Started?
- Topics Include:
- The career advisor will communicate the WebEx meeting invite, policy and protocol to the student by sending confirmation notice via email within one business day prior to the appointment.
- The student must have a working webcam and enter the meeting through the WebEx platform. The student has the option of using a computer microphone or phone for audio and must ensure that WebEx will work on his/her computer. View Cisco WebEx Help instructions here. Additional requirements include; photo ID (RUID or a different form of photo ID), RUID#, and NetID, phone available in case of technical difficulties with WebEx.
- Day of Appointment: The student should log in to the WebEx meeting five minutes prior to the scheduled time. Before beginning the appointment, the advisor will ask the student to show a photo ID and to provide RUID# and NetID. The advisor will check the photo ID to confirm it is the student who made the appointment, and verify his/her RUID# and NetID in Handshake. Once verified the appointment will begin.
- The advisor may use the screen-sharing feature to share information and resources during the appointment. The student will be able to see the advisor via webcam at the same time.
- In the case of technical difficulties and the inability to connect, the student should call the Career Exploration and Success Gateway front desk at 848-932-7997 and ask to be transferred to the advisor he/she is scheduled to meet with.
- Due to the technical methods of video call career assistance appointments, confidentiality breaches may occur and Career Exploration and Success cannot be held liable.
We understand that unexpected academic obligations, work commitments, and illnesses can affect your schedule. However, please advise the Office of Career Exploration and Success of any change as early as possible, as there is a high demand for advising appointments. Your cancellation will allow us to offer your time slot to another student. Be sure to check your schedule carefully in order to avoid multiple appointment cancellations.