Appointments & Drop-in Resume Hours
Our staff members can assist eligible students and alumni through individual career sessions. Learn more below:
- Scheduling a Career Assistance Appointment (for eligible students and alumni)
- Virtual Career Chat
THIS SERVICE IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR CURRENT ELIGIBLE MATRICULATING RUTGERS-NEW BRUNSWICK STUDENTS.
If you would like to have your resume critiqued, we recommend that you first try our resume drop-in hours. No appointment is necessary!
College Avenue Campus | Gateway Transit Village Building (106 Somerset Street, 4th Floor, next to Barnes & Noble):
Wednesdays and Thursdays from 12:00 - 3:00 pm
Busch Campus | Busch Student Center:
Mondays and Tuesdays from 12:00 - 3:00 pm
Kilmer Library | Livingston Campus
Thursdays from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Cook Campus | Martin Hall, Room 221
Tuesdays from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
Our Career Development Specialists are available to assist eligible Rutgers University-New Brunswick students and alumni with a range of career-related issues on an individual basis, such as:
- Develop your 4-year career action plan (Career GPS)
- Assess your skills and interests
- Choose a major and explore careers
- Gain experience through internships, co-ops, and more
- Consider and apply for graduate school
- Search for jobs
The number of appointments scheduled with a counselor will vary depending on the career issue(s) needing attention. Learn answers to common questions regarding career assistance.
Currently enrolled eligible students and recent alumni (1 year out): Request an appointment online via your CareerKnight account.
Alumni (greater than 1 year): Learn more about scheduling an appointment.
Unaffiliated w/ Rutgers-New Brunswick: University Career Services at Rutgers University-New Brunswick provides a wide range of services to members of the Rutgers community. However, we are unable to provide career counseling services to individuals who are not Rutgers-New Brunswick students or alumni.
Check out and use our online resources to help you develop your career action plan prior to your career assistance appointment!
We understand that unexpected academic obligations, work commitments, and illnesses can affect your schedule. However, please advise University Career Services of any change as early as possible, as there is a high demand for counseling appointments. Your cancellation will allow us to offer your time slot to another student. Be sure to check your schedule carefully in order to avoid multiple appointment cancellations.
Please note the following cancellation procedures and policies:
If you need to cancel an appointment, please do so through your CareerKnight account by 5:00 pm the business day prior to your appointment. If you have a same-day urgent reason for cancelling, call the office where your appointment is scheduled to cancel: Busch Campus Center at 848-445-6127 or 106 Somerset Street, 4th floor (Gateway Transit Village Building) at 848-932-7997.
- No Show Policy: If you do not cancel the appointment by 5 pm the day before and do not show up, it will be recorded as a "No Show." Two or more No Shows in a semester will result in a suspension of all CareerKnight privileges until you send a three paragraph/one page letter to email@example.com, subject line = “No-Show Appointment” discussing:
- The general reason why you did not provide sufficient notice to cancel your appointment(confidential personal information does not need to be shared).
- An overview of why it is important to provide advance notice when possible to cancel an appointment.
- A statement indicating your intention to follow the University No Show/Cancellation policy in the future.
- Cancellation Policy: Cancelling an appointment four times or more in a semester will result in a suspension of all CareerKnight privileges until you send a three paragraph/one page letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line = “Cancellation of Appointments” discussing:
- The general reason why you have cancelled appointments
- An overview of why it is important that you not consistently cancel appointments.
- A statement indicating your intention to follow the University Career Services No Show/Cancellation policy in the future.
- Late arrival policy: If you arrive later than 10 minutes for your appointment, you will be asked to reschedule.
Can't find our offices? Learn more here
Have quick questions about choosing a major or career, writing a resume, prepping for an interview, finding an internship or job, or planning for graduate school? You can get your questions answered in real time by chatting with a Peer Career Advisor online.
To access the virtual career chat feature, log in to your CareerKnight account and click "Chat with an Advisor." Virtual chat is available Monday – Thursday, 12:00 - 3:00 pm ET.
*This service is designed for quick questions only and is staffed by trained undergraduate Peer Career Advisors. For a more in-depth conversation please schedule an appointment with a Career Development Specialist through your CareerKnight account.
Please call 848-932-0144 or email email@example.com for technical support with any University Career Services online resources