---> International Students | University Career Services
Student Resources
Home » Students » Information for Special Populations » International Students

International Students

University Career Services (UCS) provides career development and employment services for international students. In addition to various programs and workshops, some of which are specifically geared toward international students, we provide individual advising. However, depending on your specific questions, you may need to visit University Career Services, Global Services, and/or an academic advisor/major advisor.

This information will help you determine who to contact for help:

   University Career Services

  • I need help with my resume and cover letter.
  • How do I find a job/internship?
  • I need help figuring out what major/career to pursue.
  • How do I prepare for an American-style interview and practice my skills?
  • What does “networking” mean and how do I do it?

    Please contact careerservices@echo.rutgers.edu for assistance with these questions.

  Center for Global Services

  • Am I eligible to work as an F-1 or J-1 student?
  • How do I maintain my legal status in the US while holding an internship/job?
  • What limitations are there for working on campus? Off-campus?
  • What do employers need to know about hiring an international student as an intern? What about for full-time positions?
  • Can I work part-time or full-time?
  • Does it matter if the position is paid or unpaid?
  • What is the difference between Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

    Please contact globalservices@gaiacenters.rutgers.edu for assistance with these questions.

  Academic Advisors/Major Advisors

  • Am I fulfilling core requirements?
  • Am I fulfilling all the requirements for my major/minor(s)?
  • If I switch majors can I still graduate “on time”? What classes have I taken which count toward the new major? What new classes must I take?
  • I want to take a summer class at a different college; how do I make sure I receive credit for that?

    Please contact your academic department for assistance with these questions.