Guide to the Job Search
All the prep work you have done will allow you to take on the search in a confident and professional manner. Apply to postings, develop and strengthen networking contacts and proactively move forward with your search
- Online Job Boards. Sign up for CareerKnight – Rutgers’s comprehensive online job posting site. Other helpful sites include LinkedIn and CareerShift and a host of industry specific websites.
- CareerShift. Build an account and begin using this comprehensive job search tool to identify job postings, network online, track communications and conduct market research.
- Attend Career & Internship Fairs. Attend Rutgers Career Fairs to explore internship or full-time employment opportunities and connect with emplopyers of interest.
- On-Campus Interviews. Review the list of employers who will be conducting on-campus interviews in CareerKnight. Be mindful of application deadlines and ensure you apply to positions of interest for which you qualify within this timeframe.
- Networking. Take advantage of University Career Services sponsored Networking Receptions and other networking opportunities provided by professional associations. Continue building your list of networking contacts. Network with prospective employers at job fairs, professional associations, seminars and employer sponsored on-campus events.
- Follow Up. Be sure to follow up with applications within a week after submittal to politely remind the interviewer of your continued interest in the position. Also, don’t forget to keep your networking contacts updated on your job search status!
- Interfolio. Manage documents such as letters of recommendation.